Wednesday, May 11, 2011

UPDATE: Kill Your TV

In jumping on board with Whole 9's kill your tv challenge, the hubs and I are on day 11 of life without the tube. I have to admit the temptation to plop on the couch last night to catch my faves (Glee, Parenthood, and Biggest Loser) was tough. But I resisted! Instead, I emailed a few friends, called my mom, worked on my goals, and read a magazine. So productive. I love it!

So in the past eleven days, here are some of the things I have had the time to do...

Improved Training Performance
  • Catch up on some training & programming articles (gotta ramp up my "Beast Mode", ha!)
  • Practice some yoga with the Lululemon G-Team
  • Write out my personal, career, and health goals, and having time to actually reflect on them…(will do a post on this soon!)
Improved Sleep
  • Lights out by 10pm. Not in bed with the TV on. I can imagine plenty of you out there, who like us, would "go to bed" at 10, only to find out you can't fall asleep until almost 11. That kind of time adds up in a hurry.
  • Finished Hunger Games Trilogy (so good!) and now on to Water for Elephants
  • Soak in a hot bath, which has to be the perfect way to end a long day
  • Develop a pre-bed routine - wash face while the hubs makes tea, take a couple melatonin, and then read till I feel that comforting wave of sleep
Improved My Nutrition
  • Prep and cook food for the week - Sunday is officially grocery shopping and food prep day. The hubs and I plan a week full of meals and we will shop and prep accordingly. When the TV is not providing noise in the background, it's amazing how much more efficient we are. (Especially the Hubs, whose brain is far too absorbent when it comes to random sports factoids.) I can't emphasize enough, how much easier the rest of the week is if we spend just an this hour or two in the kitchen!
  • Try a new recipe - Paleo lasagna with grassfed ground beef - nom nom!
  • Read Everyday Paleo's new recipe book (I liked it so much I actually ordered it twice! So happy Mother's Day Mom! This will for sure help with your Whole 30) - can't wait to try all her recipes!
Improved Family Time
  • Call my parents and see how they are doing on their Whole 30 (started on May1)
  • Cook dinner with the Hubs - This has been one of the most rewarding benefits of turning off the TV and spending time creating meals together. We've learned that all those meals previously spent hunched over on the couch was selling our time together short. Not to mention, the dining room table is enjoying being used rather than as a place to store mail.
  • Took a walk after dinner - the weather is so nice in Houston lately, so we are going to enjoy it as much as we can before the summer heat comes bearing down...eesh!
  • Plan our vaca to Chicago in 9 days!!!!!
Improved Me
  • Went to Tuesday night bible study
  • Wrote this blog post :)
All of things I love doing. I love spending time with family, reading a good book, or cooking up a new recipe. But I will unconsciously push these things aside all too often during the week so that I can watch TV.

So what are you pushing aside? How much time do you really spend watching TV? You can never know how something affects you (whether its food, drink, or a habit) until you go a period of time without it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment