Monday, May 2, 2011

Kill your TV...Day 2

So after a little internal debate with myself and some encouragement from the hubs, we have decided to take on Whole9's 30-day Challenge to "Kill Your TV".

At first I thought to myself, 'this is so silly, I don't need to do this, I hardly ever watch TV anyways'. Then over the weekend I began to be more consciously aware of when I turned the TV on and what I was doing. I surprised myself and I'm here to say I have some bad habits when it comes to watching TV. 

I found that as soon as I walk in the door, I will turn the TV on just as if I'm turning on the lights in a room. Its like a I felt the 'need' to have that constant background noise, regardless of whether or not I was tuned in to what they were saying. I also noticed that my hubs and I had developed a nasty habit of eating dinner on the couch, with the coffee table pulled up, and the TV turned to sports center of food network. Shame! We were totally bypassing an opportunity to connect with one another, catch up on our day, and ENJOY the delicious paleo meals we were cooking up. Instead we were completely zoning out in front of the TV, and more often then not, I would finish dinner well before the Hubs and quickly fire up the laptop to begin my head-spinning web browsing multi-tasking. I will then proceed to spend the rest of the evening, browsing the web, online shopping, catching up on blogs, emailing, texting on my phone, and watching 'Chopped' on Food Network until we shuffle off to bed around 10. So while we are getting to bed at a decent time, there are at least two hours of my day that I spend zoned out to mindless entertainment.

Those are the hours I could spend doing something productive, fun, enriching or restorative. I'm constantly complaining about how busy I am with my heavy work schedule and commitment to training and cooking, yet I throw away these precious hours every night!

So this month, every night, I'm going to reclaim those hours of my life!! Each night I'm going to do one thing from Whole 9's list of 174,203 things you can do with your life instead of watching TV.

  1. Improve Your Training Performance

  2. Improve Your Sleep

  3. Improve Your Nutrition

  4. Improve Your Family Time

  5. Improve Your Household

  6. Improve Your Fun and Play

  7. Improve YOU

No comments:

Post a Comment